I am a huge sucker for a good rice bowl. Whether we’re talking a poke bowl with brown rice and some fresh Ahi tuna or a chicken teriyaki rice bowl with a sweet glaze– I’m all about it. As much as I love rice, I also love a good, creative veggie swap. That’s why I am totally for this new idea of Cauliflower Rice. Not only does it mimic the looks of rice, but it also provides the perfect base to mix together with added protein, vegetables, and sauce.
It is my goal to make all of my recipes flexible to fit everyone’s personal preferences. That’s why I always offer substitution suggestions and ingredients of “your choice”. If you’re not a big shrimp fan, try substituting for another protein source such as salmon, chicken, or black beans. With cauliflower rice serving as the base and no cheese added, this recipe is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo and Whole30. (Allergen-free but flavor-full, I promise!) However, if you’re needing some healthy grains or a little more creaminess, try using half cauliflower rice and half quinoa or adding a dollop of plain greek yogurt on top to act like sour cream.
Since this recipe simply calls for 3 cups of diced vegetables of your choice, this Cilantro Lime Shrimp Cauliflower Rice Bowl is the perfect way to use up any seasonal vegetables. It is also a perfect way to be able to flexibly shop for produce available at your local farmers’ market or use up all those CSA veggies. I like to use fresh zucchini, yellow squash and corn, but any vegetables are amazing.
Let me say it one more time, vegetables are amazing. Now before the nutrition major in me gets on a tangent taking about the amazing benefits of vegetables; scroll down, get the recipe, make your shopping list, and get to cooking!
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Cauliflower Rice Bowl
| Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 4 |
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 T olive oil
- 4 T lime juice (about 2 limes, juiced)
- 3 cups vegetables of your choice, diced (peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, corn, etc)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 T cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnishing
- Limes, for garnishing and more juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add cauliflower into food processor and pulse until small and has the texture of rice. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan to medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine shrimp, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder onion powder, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 1 tablespoon olive oil until shrimp is fully coated with spices. Add shrimp to pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side.
- While shrimp is cooking, heat another large pan to medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the cauliflower “rice” to pan and pour 2 tablespoons of lime juice over rice. Cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside.
- Once the shrimp is cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside. Without cleaning the pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and still over medium-high heat, sauté the vegetables for 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened. Add shrimp back into pan to keep hot.
- Once everything is done, transfer cauliflower rice to serving bowls and top with the shrimp vegetable mixture. Sprinkle cilantro on top and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with sliced avocado and any additional lime wedges to squeeze on top.