These energy bites are the perfect snack to grab and go! Completely customizable and take 5 minutes or less! I always have these bites on hand to grab-and-go because if I don’t pack snacks with me for the day, I get serious “hangrxiety”. Hungry, angry, and anxious. Never a good combo. Avoid the hunger with these perfect little morsels–filled with amazing protein and fiber to keep you fuller longer.
I also love making these energy bites for different holidays. For festive bites, follow the recipe template below and make your version of the energy bites like normal. Then, add 1/4 cup of oats into a bowl and add 15-30 drops of food coloring to match the holiday (i.e. red and green for Christmas, red and blue for the Fourth of July, pink for Valentine’s Day). Give the oats a stir and roll your energy bites into the colorful mixture. That’s it– festive, party-ready bites done.
The great part is these bites only take a few minutes to make and they are super flexible. Instead of running to the store, head over to your pantry and see what ingredients you have on hand to throw in for the “add-ins” portion. Everything from cereal to nuts to a broken chocolate bar is welcome in these guys.
If you come up with a cool combo for this recipe, I would love to see! Here are some of my go-to combos:
Festive Holiday Bites: energy bites rolled in food-colored oats mixture (see above)
Chunky Monkey: mashed banana, chopped walnuts, chocolate chips
Berry Bites: dried blueberries, dried cranberries, goji berries
Nuts about Nuts: sliced almonds, chopped pecans, chopped cashews
Omega-3 for Me: chia seeds, flax meal, chopped walnuts
Coco for Coconut: shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and chia seeds
Energy Bites Recipe Template
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup add-ins of your choice (dried fruit, rice krispies, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, chopped nuts, protein powder, collagen, etc… see above for more ideas)
- 1/2 cup nut or seed butter of your choice (peanut butter, almond butter, sun butter, etc)
- 1 tablespoon liquid of your choice (almond milk, dairy milk, water)
- 2-3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Add oats and add-ins to a large bowl.
- Add in nut or seed butter and liquid. Stir to combine. Mixture should be slightly sticky but still crumbly.
- Add in honey or maple syrup, 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach desired sweetness. Stir until mixture starts to come together in a sticky ball. If mixture is still too dry, add in 1-2 more tablespoons of liquid.
- Place bowl in refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, then roll mixture into balls using hands.
- Store in the fridge until ready to eat. Store any leftovers in fridge for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 3 months.