Ahh, the warm breeze, friends and family gathered together, and the sizzle of fresh meat and vegetables hitting the grill–there’s nothing quite like it. If you’re looking for an easy and delicious dinner to serve up at your next meal or cookout… you’ve come to the right place. This Grilled Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Salad with Creamy Feta Sauce is the perfect grilling recipe.
Asparagus is in season starting in late February through June–making this the perfect ingredient to incorporate into spring or summer recipes. Chicken, asparagus and lemon are basically a match made in heaven. The all-purpose lemon vinaigrette is incorporated into all parts of the recipe and gives the meal the perfect, light flavor.
The great part is any leftover vinaigrette can be saved and used to brighten the flavor of other salads throughout the week!
The lemons and lemon juice not only brighten up the plate but also provides a great source of the antioxidant vitamin C, which helps fight infections, assists with iron absorption and helps make collagen. Normally creamy sauces are loaded with calories and fat but by using Greek yogurt, this sauce is a healthy alternative and packed with protein.
I loved working with Chef Keilen Shigematsu to develop this beautiful salad and truly make it come alive. A delicious, colorful salad makes it easy to add some veggies to your cookout plate.
Who said salad can’t be a star dish? This Grilled Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Salad is sure to be both a family-friendly and crowd-pleasing spring or summer favorite!
Need more help with recipes for your busy schedule?
In my coaching + cooking program, I help busy people with beginner cooking knowledge become confident in the kitchen so that they can enjoy nourishing foods they love and stress less about mealtime. Click here to learn more about this virtual program led by a dietitian.
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 3 large lemons, juiced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 1 garlic clove)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Creamy Feta Sauce
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Chicken and Salad
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed (about 1 bunch)
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- Lemon slices, optional
- To make the lemon vinaigrette, combine lemon juice, garlic, dijon mustard, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or mason jar. Mix or shake in jar until smooth.
- To make the creamy feta sauce, combine ¼ cup of the prepared lemon vinaigrette with feta cheese, greek yogurt, and chives in a food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
- Add chicken into a large zip-top bag and pour ½ cup of prepared lemon vinaigrette over. Seal the bag tightly, pressing the bag gently to remove as much excess air as possible. Refrigerate and marinade for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat, about 400 degrees.* Place asparagus on the grill or grill pan in an even line. Toss the asparagus periodically and cook until grill marks appear, about 6 minutes. Remove from grill and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Then, remove chicken from bag and place on grill. Grill each side for 4-6 minutes depending on thickness. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, place chicken on a plate under foil and allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes to come up an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- If desired, grill lemon slices to serve on the side at the end.
- Toss prepared romaine with asparagus and desired amount of creamy feta sauce. Top salad with chicken, cut into thin strips. Serve with grilled lemon and any extra lemon vinaigrette, as desired.
*If you don't have a grill or prefer to make the recipe inside, you can cook the chicken and asparagus in a pan over medium-high heat instead.
If you end up with extra lemon vinaigrette, store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.