Try making these air fryer fajitas with fresh bell peppers, yogurt marinated chicken, tahini sauce, and pita bread! A flavorful spin on classic fajitas. Air fryer and oven instructions included.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are my own; I never feature a brand that I don’t love! See my disclosure policy for more details.
How do you make chicken fajita pitas?
With the summer heat, I try to avoid using the oven as much as possible. That’s why I love making these fajita inspired chicken pitas in the air fryer. It seems like a lot of steps but it’s actually quite simple. Let’s break it down:
- First, cook the peppers and onion mixture. Cook for about 10 minutes or until peppers are softened and slightly browned.
- Then, cook the marinated chicken. I like to cook the chicken after the peppers since it is slightly messier with the marinade.
- While everything is cooking, mix together tahini sauce. Tahini is not typically served with fajitas but trust me, it makes such a flavorful, creamy addition. If you end up with leftover tahini sauce, drizzle it over hummus or on top of power bowls.
- Finally, assemble pitas. Cut pita bread in half and stuff with cooked peppers, chicken, lettuce, and tahini sauce.
If you don’t have an air fryer, don’t worry. I’ve included instructions for the oven as well.
Are these chicken pitas healthy?
These fajita pitas are definitely a healthy choice to enjoy throughout the week. The Greek yogurt marinade and chicken provides a substantial amount of protein—about 38 grams per serving! This protein helps us feel fuller longer and promotes muscle recovery.
These pitas are also filled with colorful bell peppers. Whether you choose red, yellow, orange, or a mixture of peppers—you’ll get a healthy dose of important nutrients like vitamin C, potassium, and fiber.
Customize it your way
Like all of my other recipes, these fajita pitas are completely customizable. You get to choose what spices you want to use to marinade the chicken.
I typically like to use a mixture of curry powder, ginger, and black pepper but you can use anything you like best. Single spices and spice blends are all welcome in this recipe. Spices are a great way to add major flavor without added calories.
Whatever spices you choose, you’ll add 2 tablespoons of spices in total to your yogurt marinade. Here are some ideas to try:
- Fajita seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Or a mixture of spices!
Looking for more customizable recipes made for you and your health goals? Click here to learn more about my Coaching + Cooking program.
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
If you are looking for a satisfying meal prep recipe, these pitas are a great option. Simply prep your peppers and marinade your chicken the day before. Then, once it comes time to cook, everything is ready to go.
You can also cook everything ahead of time so all you have to do is add it to pita bread. Store any leftover cooked peppers and chicken for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Need more hands-on help with cooking?
If you need more help when it comes to chopping veggies and planning out meals, my virtual cooking program is the perfect option for you—click here to learn more about the “Coaching + Cooking” program.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons spices of your choice (I like to use curry powder but you can use any spices you like. Try fajita seasoning, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, black pepper, or a mixture of spices!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound raw chicken breast tenders
- 2 bell peppers of your choice, sliced (red, yellow, or orange)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Tahini Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup raw tahini
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 whole grain pita breads, halved
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- In a large bowl combine Greek yogurt, spices, and salt. Add over chicken tenders and toss until coated. Marinade for 6 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- In another large bowl, combine peppers, red onion, oil, and salt and pepper.
- Oven instructions: Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Using tongs, remove chicken from marinade and shake off any excess yogurt; discard leftover yogurt mixture. Arrange chicken on one side of baking sheet. On the other side, add peppers and onions. Bake for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and peppers have softened. For more char, broil for an additional 1-2 minutes at the end.
- Air fryer instructions: Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Cook pepper and onions for 10 minutes, then remove from air fryer. Using tongs, remove chicken from marinade and shake off any excess yogurt; discard leftover yogurt mixture. Add chicken to same air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, flipping tenders halfway through. Chop chicken into smaller pieces when finished cooking, if desired.
- While everything is cooking, combine all tahini sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve cooked chicken and vegetables in pita bread pockets with lettuce and a drizzle of tahini sauce.
Store any leftovers for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Please note these are affiliate links. I only link to products I love and recommend!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 pita
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g