These seasonal pumpkin energy bites are a perfect snack for fall or any season, really. They are customizable and take 5 minutes or less to make! See the video below to see how easy it is to whip up these pumpkin energy bites!
You can find pumpkin everything this time of year. Pumpkin coffee, pumpkin yogurt, even pumpkin protein shakes. But hey, I’m not complaining. Keep healthy snacks in mind and add these pumpkin energy bites to your list to try.
How to build a healthy snack
I like to snack in between meals to help keep my energy level up. A healthy snack consists of both carbohydrates and protein. Some of my favorites include:
- Hard boiled egg and crackers
- Peanut butter and apples
- Hummus and veggies
- Or energy bites!
These pumpkin energy bites are a great snack choice with the combination of oats and pumpkin (carbohydrates) and nut butter (protein).
Where do I buy pumpkin?
You can actually make your own homemade pumpkin puree. But if you’re lazy like me, you can buy pumpkin purée in the baking aisle of your local grocery store as well. It’s usually on the bottom of the shelf.
What else can I make with pumpkin purée?
This pumpkin energy bites recipe calls for 1/2 cup pumpkin puree. If you are using a standard 15 ounce can of pumpkin, that means you will have a little over 1 cup leftover after making these bites.
You’ll want to store any leftover puree in the fridge and use within 5-7 days. The good news is there’s tons of ways to use up extras. Here is some leftover pumpkin puree recipe inspiration:
- Coconut Cream Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- Vegan Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
- Maple Butter Pumpkin Hummus
- Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies
I’m a huge fan of energy bites
These pumpkin energy bites are a spin off my original energy bites recipe template. Energy bites are such a delicious, protein-packed snack. Plus, they are completely customizable.
Customize it your way
This recipe calls for 1 cup of add-ins of your choice. That means you can add in whatever you like or whatever ingredients you have on hand. Here are some ideas:
- coconut flakes
- ground flaxseed
- rice krispies
- dried cranberries
- chocolate chips
- chia seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts, or pistachios
Try playing around with a combination for the one cup. For example, I usually do a mixture of 1/4 cup coconut, 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, and 1/4 cup chia seeds.
See the video below to see how easy it is to whip up these pumpkin energy bites!
Pumpkin Energy Bites
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 1 cup add-ins of your choice (coconut flakes, ground flax seed, dried cranberries or raisins, chocolate chips, chia seeds, chopped nuts)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and mix until combined. Let mixture chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- After chilled, roll mixture into 1 inch balls using hands.
- Store the bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to one week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.