Salted Caramel Energy Bites make the perfect energizing snack. They are packed with plant based protein to power your day. Plus, they are gluten-free, vegan, and have no added sugars!
What ingredients do I need to make salted caramel energy bites?
- Cashews provide the base to our ‘caramel’ taste. Cashews are often used in lots of other vegan treats too.
- Dates sweeten our bites. They contain no added sugar – only the sugar naturally present within the fruit
- Coconut comes in several different varieties like flaked, shredded, or grated. Just be sure to look for unsweetened.
- Protein powder helps pack in extra protein to keep you fuller longer.
- Seeds provide healthy fats and fiber.
- Peanut butter gives it that silky feel and helps keep them together. Sub sunflower butter if you are nut free.
- Almond milk helps everything stick together.
- Salt and cinnamon provide an extra pop of flavor.
Customize these protein energy bites your way
For this recipe, I like to add hemp seeds (also known as hemp hearts) into my energy bites. These can typically be found in the bulk section or the baking and cereals aisle of the grocery store. Just 3 tablespoons of them packs in 10 grams of plant based protein! You can also use chia seeds or ground flax seed instead. These are also a great source of omega 3 healthy fats and protein.
Peanut butter is one of my favorite ingredients to use in recipes. It mixes great in these healthy energy bites. However, if you are nut-free, feel free to substitute it with sunflower seed butter instead.
Is this recipe vegan?
To make this recipe fully vegan, be sure to choose a plant based protein powder like pea protein or soy protein. If you’re not vegan, feel free to use any type of vanilla protein powder you like.
Healthy snacking on the go
It’s important to make sure you are fueling your day properly, especially between long stretches between meals. Try to choose snacks that contain a mix of carbohydrates and protein.
I like to make a bunch of these quick bites, put them in the freezer, and then take them out one-by-one to pack for my day. They are a grab and go snack to bring for:
- Long work days
- Between classes
- Road trips
- Between meals
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder of your choice
- 2 tablespoons seeds of your choice (hemp seeds, chia seeds, or ground flax seed)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons vanilla almond milk or water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a food processor, blend cashews and dates until mostly broken down until a crumbly consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Roll into 1-inch bites. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 bite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Nutrition vary depending on ingredients used. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional registered dietitian nutritionist’s advice.