Are you a kale-hater? Well this recipe might just turn you into a kale-lover. This is a recipe that I’ve prepared at several cooking demonstrations (see slideshow below) and have surprisingly turned skeptics into believers. The mix between the sweet pineapple, strawberry, and kale makes for the perfect, slightly-sweet smoothie combo. The layering of the pink strawberry mixture and the green kale mixture also makes for a beautiful smoothie that is sure to impress.
Photos Courtesy of Karen Collins
This recipe is great because it can be super flexible. You can choose various milk options or sweetener options to cater to different dietary preferences. For the additional mix-in options, I typically like to throw in some chia seeds and flax meal for some added fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, but the options are endless. Still find that you don’t like the kale in the smoothie after making it? Swap it out for spinach which has a milder flavor. Want a thicker smoothie? Add some more greek yogurt to it. Just ran out of milk? Use a kind of fruit juice like apple juice instead. Forgot to freeze the fruit ahead of time? No worries–just some add ice in!
This is a perfect recipe for meal prep too. Prepare all the ingredients (except for the liquid) and throw into a zip top bag to store in the freezer. When you are ready to make your smoothie, simply pop it out of the freezer, add your liquid and mix it all up. Blending it all together won’t allow you to create the beautiful contrasting pink and green layers, but it will still taste delicious.
Time to get out in the sunshine, shop the local farmers’ market and grab some kale and strawberries because this is one refreshing smoothie recipe you’ll have to try. Want more? Check out these other Simply Fresh Smoothies!
Strawberry Kale Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries frozen
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 to 2 cups kale ribs and large stems removed
- 1/2 cup milk or apple juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple chopped
- 1 banana frozen
- 1 tablespoon mix-ins of your choice chia seeds, flax meal, etc
- To make the pink strawberry mixture, combine strawberries, milk, greek yogurt, and honey in blender until smooth. Pour this mixture into a glass.
- For the green kale mixture, combine kale, milk or apple juice, pineapple, banana, and chia seeds in blender until smooth. Pour evenly over the strawberry mixture. Mix gently with a spoon or straw to create the swirl effect.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.