This secret ingredient salsa is filled with fresh ingredients bursting with authentic flavor. Throw everything into a blender and have on the table in 10 minutes or less! Perfect to serve alongside chips, with chicken and rice, or over tacos.
My tomato turnaround
Surprisingly, I used to hate tomatoes. I would be that person who would pick the tomatoes off my salad or immediately write off any menu items containing them. Luckily by continuing to be open to trying tomatoes in different preparations and dishes, I began to appreciate them more. Now I can’t get enough of these juicy gems! I love to add tomatoes into everything from tomato basil soups to fresh bruschetta bites.
You can find fresh tomatoes of various varieties at your local farmers market from the months of May to October. These seasonal gems are a great source of the antioxidant, lycopene, which can be protective against heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium. Feel free to mix it up with different types like roma, green zebra, cherry, beefsteak, or heirloom.
My special ingredient
Along with juicy tomatoes, the secret ingredient I like to throw in my salsa is… sweet peppers! I’ve found that peppers add great texture, nutrients and flavor! Experiment with using different peppers you find at your local store or farmers market. You can even use a few ounces of roasted red peppers for a unique flavor.
This salsa recipe can be used as a starting point and customized even further with additions like jalapeños, corn or black beans. You can also customize it to your preferred texture. Simply blend less for a more chunky salsa and blend more for a smoother salsa.
Time to get out in the fresh air, shop the local farmers market, and grab some fresh produce because this is one delicious salsa recipe you’ll have to try. What are your favorite ingredients to use in salsa?
Secret Ingredient Salsa
- 2 large tomatoes of your choice, roughly chopped (roma, green zebra, cherry, beefsteak, or heirloom tomatoes)
- 1 small sweet bell pepper of your choice, roughly chopped and seeds removed (red, yellow, or orange sweet pepper)
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached. Pulse more for a smoother texture and less for a more chunky salsa.
- Store any extras in the fridge for up to 5 days.