Sometimes the most comforting thing on a cold day is a delicious bowl of soup, especially when it’s this homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup! I even love soup in the summertime because it’s a great way to utilize fresh produce in an easy way.
This recipe is great because it works for all seasons. You can find luscious tomatoes of various varieties at your local farmers market from the months of May to October. If it’s winter and you can’t find any good tomatoes at the store, opt for canned whole peeled tomatoes. I often use these instead of fresh tomatoes because they can be cheaper and juicier. Tomatoes are a great source of the antioxidant, lycopene, which can be protective against heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium.
The funny thing is I used to HATE tomatoes. I would be that person who would pick the tomatoes off my salad, immediately write off anything with tomatoes on a menu and despise any tomato-based soup. I don’t know what happened with my taste buds, but I’m happy to say I’m a changed woman and love tomatoes now!
This soup goes great with fresh avocado slices, parmesan cheese sprinkled over top, and a hearty, toasted, whole grain bread (or better yet–grilled cheese!) on the side. Let me know if you have any favorite additional toppings you like to throw over this soup!
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 3-4 pounds tomatoes of your choice cut in half (heirloom, beefsteak, roma, on the vine, canned whole peeled tomatoes, etc)*
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Avocado slices
- Basil leaves
- Toasted whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes, garlic cloves, and onions on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until tomatoes are shriveled and beginning to brown on the bottom.
- Once done roasting, add roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, dried oregano, and broth to a large pot. Immersion blend until smooth.** Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Allow tomato soup to simmer on low heat for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with basil leaves, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, avocado slices, and a hearty bread, if desired.