This Farmers Market Vegetable Bruschetta is the perfect party appetizer or colorful meal to highlight seasonal vegetables. Spread creamy goat cheese over toasted crostinis and top with lemon thyme dressed vegetables.
The summer farmers market season is my absolute favorite season. There’s something about the fresh produce, inviting local spirit, and warm sunshine that you can’t beat.
This Fresh Farmers Market Bruschetta is one of my all time favorites to make and lead cooking demonstrations on. With light ingredients and bright flavor, this is the perfect recipe for a hot summer day. The best part is you can typically find everything you need for the recipe straight from the farmers market.
Customize your healthy bruschetta
This Fresh Farmers Market Bruschetta is super versatile. Change it to fit your dietary preferences or the occasion at hand.
- Swap out the crostini and spoon veggies and cheese over a lettuce cup for a lower carbohydrate and gluten-free option.
- Skip the chèvre or goat cheese all together for a dairy-free and vegan option.
- Toss the bruschetta veggie mixture with mixed greens from the market for a delicious salad entree.
- Throw in whatever veggies are available at the market depending on the time of year. Aim for about 6 cups of diced veggies tossed in the lemon juice, thyme, and olive oil.
Seasonal vegetables are the best
This recipe features seasonal summer gems like tomatoes, zucchini, corn, and bell peppers. Foods that are in season often have more flavor, undergo less travel, and give you the opportunity to support local businesses. The farmers market is unique because you can actually engage with the growers. Ask them about their product, mission, and growing conditions.
I love the produce featured in this recipe for their bright flavor and nutrition.
- Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C and lycopene, which has antioxidant properties to help protect against cell damage. Try topping slices tomatoes over avocado toast or blending into soups.
- Zucchini is low in calories plus it’s loaded with fiber. Try spiralizing and use in place of pasta or throw in an egg frittata.
- Corn is full of great fiber and phytochemicals. Even though this golden veggie is part of a healthy diet, aim to eat in moderation since it’s higher in starch.
- Bell peppers are rich in carotenoids, which act as antioxidants in the human body. Try stuffing bell peppers with quinoa or blending into salsa.
In need of more party crostini recipes? Try out this goat cheese caprese dip spread over fresh baguettes.
For the Crostini:
- 1 plain baguette
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
For the Bruschetta Vegetable Mixture:
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 small zucchini, diced in ¼ inch pieces
- 1 sweet bell pepper of your choice (red, yellow, or orange), diced in ¼ inch pieces
- 1 cup red onion, diced in ¼ inch pieces
- 4 medium green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red tomato, diced in ¼ inch pieces
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested (about 2 tablespoons juiced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 4 ounces chèvre log or any soft goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To make the crostini, slice the baguette crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil and chopped garlic. Spread the mixture onto each slice of the baguette. Place the slices onto a baking sheet oil side up and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- While waiting for crostinis to bake, wrap each ear of corn in plastic wrap and place in microwave on high power for 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Slice corn from cob.
- Place corn, zucchini, pepper, red onions, green onions, and tomato in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In the same bowl, add lemon juice and lemon zest. Then, drizzle over olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, and thyme. Stir once more.
- To assemble bruschetta, spread a small amount of goat cheese over a crostini, top with vegetable mixture, and enjoy!
Please note these are affiliate links. I only link to products I love and recommend!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Nutrition vary depending on ingredients used. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional registered dietitian nutritionist’s advice.