This Lemon Blueberry Mug Cake is brimming with bright flavor and nourishing ingredients like fresh blueberries and protein powder. Perfect to enjoy as a single-serve dessert or breakfast. Plus, it’s ready to go in just 5 minutes!
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Naked Nutrition. All opinions are my own; I never feature a brand that I don’t love!
What is a mug cake?
A mug cake is a healthy treat for one that combines a small amount of ingredients mixed together in a coffee mug. This batter is then microwaved for about 1 minute to reveal a fluffy cake.
Is this recipe healthy?
If you’re looking for a better-for-you dessert or quick breakfast, you gotta give this 5-minute recipe a try. This easy mug cake contains low amounts of added sugar while packing in over 15 grams of satisfying protein. It gets its protein from the yogurt and protein powder.
What protein powder should I use?
I love Naked Nutrition’s line up of protein powders because they contain simple ingredients and cater to all types of dietary preferences.
One of my new favorites for summer is their Lemon Blueberry flavor! One serving (2 scoops) packs in 20 grams of protein along with important nutrients like iron and potassium. Since this powder is made from pea protein, it’s also vegan-friendly. Simply mix together this lemon blueberry protein powder with the rest of the ingredients and microwave for a plant-based treat!
Customize it your way
Like all of my other recipes, this easy mug cake is completely customizable. You get to choose what type of flour, milk, and yogurt you want to use.
- Flour – I typically use an all purpose flour but you can also sub 1:1 with oat flour to make this mug cake gluten-free.
- Milk – Feel free to use whatever kind of milk you keep in your fridge. You can use regular dairy milk or make it plant-based by using almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or other alternative milks.
- Yogurt – For this lemon blueberry mug cake, I especially enjoy topping it with a blueberry or lemon flavored yogurt! But again, feel free to use any yogurt that fits your dietary preferences. To make this recipe vegan friendly, choose a plant-based yogurt.
Need more help with recipes for your busy schedule?
In my coaching + cooking program, I help busy people with beginner cooking knowledge become confident in the kitchen so that they can enjoy nourishing foods they love and stress less about mealtime. Click here to learn more about this virtual program led by a dietitian.
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons flour (sub oat flour if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons Naked Nutrition Lemon Blueberry Protein Powder
- 2 tablespoons milk of your choice (almond milk, soy milk, dairy milk, oat milk, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about ½ medium lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (about ½ medium lemon)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh blueberries, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup yogurt of your choice, for topping (blueberry yogurt, vegan coconut yogurt, lemon yogurt, plain yogurt, etc.)
- Spray a large mug with cooking spray.
- Add flour, protein powder, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and baking powder to the mug and mix to combine. Then, fold in blueberries.
- Microwave for 75-90 seconds. Then, let cool for 1 minute. Batter should be mostly dry to the touch and have a cakey texture.
- Top mug cake with yogurt and more blueberries.
Please note these are affiliate links. I only link to products I love and recommend!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 mug cake Serving Size: 1 mug cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 1.5gSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 10gProtein: 16g
Check out these other recipes using protein powder:
- Salted Caramel Protein Bites
- Pumpkin Spice Protein Shake (with Naked Nutrition’s pumpkin protein powder!)
- Cereal Bars
- Proffee (Protein Coffee)