This sheet pan green beans recipe is perfect for the busy holiday season when you’re craving a comforting dish without the hassle. It contains flavorful Italian sausage, creamy alfredo sauce, and Libby’s® Vegetables Naturals Cut Green Beans. Plus, you get to customize it with any cheese of your choice.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Libby’s® Vegetables. All opinions are my own; I never feature a brand that I don’t love!
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love it
Get ready to fall in love with the simplicity and rich flavor of this sheet pan green beans recipe! The Italian sausage provides a savory punch, while the alfredo sauce adds creaminess, making every bite heavenly. All you need is one skillet and one sheet pan, meaning there’s minimal cleanup.
We’re also using canned green beans as a nutritious, time saving option. Simply open, drain, and add to your sheet pan.
Absolutely! Green beans are packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Here, I’m using Libby’s Vegetables, which are grown by American farmers to provide exceptional taste and crisp-tender texture.
For the recipe, we specifically chose to use Libby’s Vegetables Naturals Cut Green Beans, which have no added salt. What’s inside the can, you ask? Just green beans and water – that’s it!
This is an ideal recipe to use canned green beans. Normally you would have to steam green beans before adding them to a sheet pan, but we get to skip that step with Libby’s ready-to-go canned green beans!
Chances are that most of the ingredients you need are already in your kitchen. Here’s what to grab:
- Italian Sausage: Choose your favorite Italian sausage–it can be mild or hot. You could also opt for turkey or chicken sausage instead or pork if you prefer.
- Alfredo Sauce: You’ll find alfredo sauce in the pasta aisle of most grocery stores.
- Libby’s Vegetables Naturals Cut Green Beans: These canned green beans are convenient and delicious, making them a perfect addition to your holiday menu. Drain and pat them dry for the best results.
- Italian Seasoning: A blend of oregano, basil, thyme, and other herbs–adds Italian flavor to your holiday dish. The aroma of these seasonings will fill your kitchen and make it smell SO good.
- Cheese of your choice: The gooey, melted cheese adds an umami flavor in addition to extra protein.
- Red Pepper Flakes: This recipe calls for just a small amount to give it a mild kick. Add a bit more if you like it spicier!
- Add Green Beans: Once drained, spread these out in an even layer on a sheet pan and season.
- Brown Sausage: We like to break up the sausage into tiny pieces before adding over the creamy alfredo sauce.
- Assemble: Add the sausage mixture on top of the green beans and gently press down. Then top with cheese and bake.
- Serve: The beauty of this sheet pan recipe is that it can be served as either a side dish or a main dish. See some pairing suggestions below.
- Serving Tips: We love pairing this recipe with roasted fingerling potatoes or sweet potato cubes. It’s also great with fresh rolls or a refreshing green salad.
- Troubleshooting Tips: If you don’t have a quarter sheet pan, you can also use a larger sheet pan and just nudge the ingredients together to resemble a 13”x9” shape.
- Scaling Tips: Hosting a larger gathering? Feel free to double the recipe–just be sure to use a half sheet pan (~18″x13″) in this case.
Like all of my other recipes, this green bean dish is completely customizable. You get to choose what cheese you want to use.
- Shredded cheese of your choice: Mozzarella is a classic choice, but feel free to experiment with other cheese varieties like parmesan, cheddar, or a blend.
To make it ahead of time, prepare the dish up until the baking step, cover it tightly, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply pop it in the oven, and voila! It’s ideal for meal prepping or making ahead for a busy holiday celebration or weeknight.
You can store extras in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave for 1 minute.
Need more help with recipes for your busy schedule?
In my coaching + cooking program, I help busy people with beginner cooking knowledge become confident in the kitchen so that they can enjoy nourishing foods they love and stress less about mealtime. Click here to learn more about this virtual program led by a dietitian.
Sheet Pan Green Beans with Alfredo Sausage
- 1 – 16 ounce package Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup alfredo sauce
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) Libby’s Naturals Cut Green Beans, drained and pat dry
- 3 teaspoons italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups or 5 ounces shredded cheese of your choice (Pictured is mozzarella cheese but you could also use parmesan, cheddar, or a blend.)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a quarter sheet pan (roughly 13”x9”) with parchment paper or grease with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage for 5-6 minutes, breaking it into small pieces. Stir in the alfredo sauce and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, cooking for an additional 2 minutes until warmed.
- Add drained green beans to the prepared sheet pan and season with the remaining 2 teaspoons of the Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Top the green beans with the alfredo sausage mixture, pressing it down gently, and then top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is golden brown on top. Remove from oven and top with red pepper flakes before serving.