With Super Bowl Sunday right around the corner, hummus is a must. Don’t be left dip-less when the grocery shelves empty. Instead, whip up this healthy peanut butter hummus in 10 minutes or less with ingredients right from your pantry.
Hummus typically calls for an ingredient called tahini. Tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds, is an awesome ingredient to use in recipes, but it is typically more expensive and an item I don’t readily have on hand. Instead, I like to use peanut butter to give it that necessary nuttiest and creamy texture. Peanut butter can be used in everything from yogurt parfaits to thai peanut sauce.
I love this peanut butter hummus because it is so versatile. You can throw in whatever spices or additional flavor you love. For example, I personally love to blend in ½ tsp cumin and sprinkle sesame seeds and parsley over the top for added presentation.
It is also a flexible dip as it can be served with everything from pita chips to pretzels to veggies. If you have leftovers, spread it over sandwiches, crusted chicken, or stir into soup.
Hummus is a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, keeping you fuller longer on the big game day or just general snacking. What are you serving up Sunday?
Peanut Butter Hummus
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter*
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water, plus more as needed
- Additional spices or add-ins of choice (½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp paprika, pinch of cayenne pepper, 2 roasted red peppers, fresh chopped parsley, etc)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. If necessary, add more water to reach desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.