With Super Bowl Sunday right around the corner, hummus is a must. Don’t be left dip-less when the grocery shelves empty. Instead, whip up this healthy peanut butter hummus in 10 minutes or less with ingredients right from your pantry.
Do I need tahini to make hummus?
Hummus typically calls for an ingredient called tahini. Tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds, is an awesome ingredient to use in recipes, but it is typically more expensive and an item I don’t readily have on hand. Instead, I like to use peanut butter to give it that necessary nuttiest and creamy texture. Peanut butter can be used in everything from yogurt parfaits to thai peanut sauce.
Customize this recipe with your favorite spices or flavors
I love this peanut butter hummus because it is so versatile. You can throw in whatever spices or additional flavors you love. For example, I personally love to blend in about 1/2 tsp cumin and then sprinkle sesame seeds and parsley over the top of the plated hummus for added presentation. You could also blend in roasted red peppers, more garlic, or fresh herbs.
What else can I use hummus for?
Hummus is a flexible dip as it can be served with everything from pita chips to pretzels to veggies. If you have leftovers, spread it over sandwiches, crusted chicken, or stir into soup.
Hummus is a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, keeping you fuller longer on the big game day or just general snacking. Chickpeas are also a great source of antioxidants which may help protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
- 1 - 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter*
- 1 lemon, juiced (or 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- Additional spices or add-ins of your choice, (Try a sprinkle of cumin, paprika, bagel seasoning, or cayenne pepper. You could also throw in a couple roasted red peppers or a handful of fresh chopped herbs.)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. If necessary, add more olive oil to reach desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
*You can use sunflower seed butter if you are nut-free.
Please note these are affiliate links. I only link to products I love and recommend!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 3 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Nutrition vary depending on ingredients used. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional registered dietitian nutritionist’s advice.