Banana bread is a classic treat I grew up eating often whenever we had a few browned bananas left. Although nothing can quite top my mom’s made-with-love banana bread, I decided to develop this banana bread recipe to create a healthier, protein-packed twist on the classic loaf.
Never throw away your brown bananas, people! Instead, peel and freeze them to use later in smoothies, blend them to make “nice cream”, mash them up with oats and bake them into a two-ingredient cookies, or better yet–use them for this delicious banana bread recipe. In fact, since bananas get sweeter as they ripen, I would advise waiting until your bananas are slightly browned for this recipe because it will allow for a naturally sweeter bread.
Another ingredient I’ve added into this recipe is collagen peptides. Collagen has been a trending supplement lately and one I actually had the chance to research a TON as it was the focus of my senior capstone research poster. Although more research still needs to be conducted, there are numerous compelling studies showing the benefits of collagen supplementation for skin, joint, bone, and digestive health. I like to mix collagen into my morning oats, night time tea, and now–baked goods.
Just 1/4 cup of collagen added into the mix provides substantial protein–almost 30 grams! The white whole wheat flour and any nuts added provide additional protein as well. Alternatively, you could use a neutral protein powder in place of the collagen peptides, but just be cautious of sneaky added sugar and fillers often hidden in these products.
Another great thing about this recipe is there is no added sugar. I repeat: no added sugar! The sweet taste comes from the natural sugars in the bananas and dates, as opposed to added sugar forms such as granulated sugar, honey, or maple syrup often found in banana bread recipes.
So what are you waiting for? Treat yourself with this flavorful, moist, protein-packed collagen banana bread. Enjoy with sliced bananas, warmed up with butter, or simply as is. If you are nut-free, try adding in dark chocolate chips, seeds, or dried cranberries instead. Let me know what your favorite nuts or add-ins are to use in this recipe!
Protein-Packed Collagen Banana Bread
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup collagen peptides
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed, about 1 cup mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nuts or add-ins of your choice, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, collagen, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Blend bananas, eggs, dates, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in nuts or add-ins. Dough should be slightly thick.
- Grease or line a 4×8” loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour dough into pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until brown and baked through.**