This Date Snickers recipe is a fun spin on a classic candy. Trust us–you’ll be surprised how similar they taste! Our version calls for just 5 ingredients–Medjool dates, creamy peanut butter, crunchy peanuts, coconut oil, and melted chocolate of your choice. A perfect dessert for the holidays or Halloween!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are my own; I never feature a brand that I don’t love! See my disclosure policy for more details.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love It
These Date “Snickers” combine the caramel-like sweetness of Medjool dates with the irresistible flavor combo of peanuts and chocolate. You might be thinking… “Dates with chocolate??” But it really is a match made in heaven.
These Date “Snickers” are a great better-for-you candy swap for Halloween too.
What are Medjool dates?
There are many varieties of dates, but this recipe calls for Medjool dates. I prefer using Medjool dates because they tend to be larger and have a more firm yet juicy texture that’s desirable here. I always like to pick up a few packs of Natural Delights Medjool Dates to stock in my kitchen and have at all times!
In October 2022, I was actually able to help harvest dates and see the full process they go through to reach our grocery shelves! Did you know Medjool dates grown on “date palms” that look like this? Each date palm tree produces around 200-250 pounds of dates – WOW!
How to pit dates
Pitting dates might seem like a tricky task, but it’s actually a breeze! To pit dates for your “Snickers” Dates recipe, simply make a lengthwise slit down one side of the date using a knife, ensuring you don’t cut through the other side. Gently remove the pit and voilà! You’re ready to stuff them.
Alternatively, you can buy them pre-pitted.
Can you freeze dates?
Absolutely! You can freeze Medjool dates to extend their shelf life. Store them in the original pack or in an airtight bag in the freezer for up to 1 year.
On a daily basis, we generally store a handful of dates in the fridge for up to 6 months. This helps them retain their moisture better than leaving them at room temperature.
What are date snickers?
Date snickers create the same fantastic taste of the classic Snickers bar, but with a fraction of the ingredients and added sugars. This makes them a more nourishing candy swap. This recipe is perfect for a quick energy boost or a delightful dessert after a busy day. We love enjoying them as a Halloween dessert in place of regular Snickers.
This trend really took off on Tiktok and now the hashtag #datesnickers has over 13.5 million views. Once you try it, you won’t be able to resist making it again and again!
Are snickers dates healthy?
These Medjool date snickers offer a dose of natural sweetness from the dates, rather than added sugars. Medjool dates are also packed with essential vitamins and minerals like potassium and fiber.
The peanuts and peanut butter adds healthy fats and protein to keep you satisfied, while the dark chocolate brings a boost of antioxidants.
What ingredients do you need?
- Medjool Dates: These naturally sweet and chewy dates provide a rich caramel-like flavor.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Look for a natural version without added sugars or preservatives. It should calls for just peanuts and salt on the nutrition label.
- Peanuts: Finely chopped peanuts add a delightful crunch to each bite.
- Chocolate: Choose your favorite chocolate chips to create the perfect coating.
- Coconut Oil: This is helps in melting the chocolate smoothly and gives it a glossy finish.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Serving Tips: Pair these “Snickers” Dates with a glass of almond milk or a cup of hot cocoa for a delightful treat.
- Troubleshooting Tips: Over time the dates can become hard or start to crystallize from being in the fridge. No worries though – give them a quick refresh by microwaving with a damp paper towel for 5 seconds.
- Scaling Tips: Double or triple the recipe for a party or holidays, and share the joy of these delectable treats with friends and family.
Customize these chocolate covered dates
Like all of my other recipes, this medjool date recipe is completely customizable. You get to choose what chocolate you want to use to coat them
- Chocolate of your choice – I like to use dark chocolate for an extra boost of beneficial antioxidants but you can also melt milk chocolate or white chocolate. If you are dairy-free, consider an allergy friendly dark chocolate or oat milk based chocolate.
- Nut Butter – Of course date snickers wouldn’t be complete without peanuts and peanut butter. However, if you have a peanut allergy, feel free to swap for another nut such as chopped almonds and almond butter!
Can you make snicker dates ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare these “Snickers” Dates in advance and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for 2 months. They’re perfect for meal prepping or keeping in the freezer to pull out for a delicious gift for someone.
How do I store leftovers?
You can store any leftover chocolate covered dates in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge or up to a month in the freezer. Just take them out a few minutes before enjoying to let them soften slightly.
The perfect holiday dessert or halloween dessert
Add a touch of elegance to your holiday charcuterie boards with these easy chocolate covered dates. They also make the perfect effortless, last-minute dessert you can whip up in no time. For an extra dash of holiday spirit, consider swapping the flakey sea salt with a dash of festive red and green sprinkles!
Whether it’s Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Valentine’s Day–these date snickers are an easy homemade treat. They’re also a unique holiday treat to exchange besides your typical cookies. Check out these other edible gifts too!
Try these other Medjool date recipe too:
- No Bake Cheesecake Bites
- Chocolate Smoothie with 2 Medjool dates
- Customizable Stuffed Dates
- Salted Caramel Protein Bites
- 12 Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of your choice (milk, dark, white chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Flakey sea salt (optional)
- Use a knife to make a lengthwise slit down the center of one side of the dates. Be sure to not cut through the other side. Remove and discard the center pit.
- Add pitted dates to a sheet of parchment paper on a sheet pan.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter into the center of each sliced date. Then, top each date with about 1/2 teaspoon chopped peanuts.
- Next, place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until fully melted.
- You can use a spoon to gently drizzle the melted chocolate over dates OR you can fully fully coat the dates in the chocolate by using your hands or a toothpick to dip them. Place the chocolate covered dates back onto the parchment paper.
- If desired, sprinkle over a pinch of sea salt before adding the sheet pan to the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, you can enjoy your homemade date snickers!
Please note these are affiliate links. I only link to products I love and recommend!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
This is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Nutrition may vary depending on ingredients used. For more nutrition information, seek a professional registered dietitian's advice.
save this date snickers recipe on pinterest:
Need more help with recipes for your busy schedule?
In my coaching + cooking program, I help busy people with beginner cooking knowledge become confident in the kitchen so that they can enjoy nourishing foods they love and stress less about mealtime. Click here to learn more about this virtual program led by a dietitian.