Trying to figure out what to eat for breakfast in the morning? This Peanut Butter and Berry Jam Overnight Oats makes a delicious on-the-go breakfast. Plus, it’s packed with protein and contains no added sugar!
I love the combinations of peanut butter and berries
Ahh the good ol’ peanut butter and jelly days. I love PB&Js because they remind me of grade school field trips, picnics with friends, and camping with my family. This Peanut Butter and Berry Jam Overnight Oats is a play off of the classic PB&J.
However, instead of using a store-bought jam (typically packed with added sugars), this recipe makes a homemade chia berry jam, containing natural fruit sugars.
How do I make chia berry jam?
It’s super simple. Place 2 cups of any berries you like into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes. You can use fresh, frozen, or canned berries. If you don’t have a microwave, you can also heat the berries in a small saucepan.
Then, add in your chia seeds. The chia seeds give the jam its gel-like consistency. They also provide great fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and key nutrients like calcium and phosphorus.
Then, let it sit for 2 hours or overnight and it will thicken up into a jam. Easy as that!
Customize your overnight oats
Make this recipe your own by adding your favorite fruits, another kind of nut butter, or drizzling some honey on top if you need a little extra sweetness.
Great for meal prep
The great part about this recipe is you can prepare it the night before so you don’t even have to think about breakfast in the morning! You could even prepare it to eat later on in the day to replace your usual PB&J sandwich. This Peanut Butter and Berry Jam Overnight Oatmeal is sure to become your jam. What are you favorite make ahead breakfast recipes?
Peanut Butter and Berry Jam Overnight Oats
Peanut Butter Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup milk of your choice (almond milk, skim milk, soy milk, etc)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
Chia Berry Jam
- 2 cups berries of your choice (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey roasted peanuts, optional
- To make the peanut butter oats, combine oats, peanut butter, milk, and yogurt in a small bowl. Store in fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- To make the berry jam, add berries and 1 tablespoon of water to a bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes until berries are soft and some juices released. Mash with the back of a fork to create jam consistency. Stir in chia seeds and 1 tablespoon of water to a small saucepan and set to medium heat. Allow berries to simmer until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Add berry jam into a small container and store in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- After letting the peanut butter oats mixture and chia berry jam set, spoon each mixture into a container or mason jar, alternating between the two to create layers. Top with honey roasted peanuts and any additional peanut butter.