Mixing up a salad doesn’t have to be either bland or time consuming. This 5-minute Simple Fruit & Nut Salad proves that a quick salad can be both flavorful and easy. This recipe is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and has nut-free options. Bonus: You don’t have to scout out the endless dressing options at the store. This recipe includes the dressing with a homemade dijon vinaigrette!
Healthy Salad Guide
Salad is one of my go-to meals but just lettuce alone won’t suffice. Lettuce + protein + extra mix-ins + a delicious dressing = your perfect salad.
- Don’t get stuck on the same greens. Mix it up with options like spinach, romaine, arugula, green leaf, kale, escarole, and napa cabbage. You can’t go wrong here. All of these nutrient dense leafy greens are a great source of vitamins A, C, K, potassium, and fiber–all while being low in calories.
- Protein is key in order to make sure you stay fuller longer. Some animal-based options to add to your salad include feta cheese, chicken, hard boiled eggs, sliced turkey, or salmon. You can also go plant-based and choose protein sources like nuts, seeds, tofu, tempeh, chickpeas, quinoa, or beans.
- Great mix-ins provide great flavor. Try healthy options like diced fruits, roasted or raw veggies, sliced avocado, dried fruit, and fresh herbs.
- An incredible dressing brings everything together in a salad. When mixing up your own dressing, use high quality ingredients. Most homemade salad dressings can be stored for up to 1-2 weeks in the fridge.
Favorite Fruit + Nut or Seed Combos
This recipe is completely customizable. You get to choose what fruits and nuts or seeds you use. These have been some of my favorites:
- apples + walnuts (as shown in the photos)
- raspberries + pumpkin seeds
- blueberries + sliced almonds
- strawberries + pecans
If you still are needing more flavor, feel free to add more of your favorite salad toppings. Although this salad is made to serve one, you can also multiply it to serve as a dinner side dish or prep for lunches.
Same goes for the dijon vinaigrette. This delicious dressing can be doubled or quadrupled and stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It’s great to drizzle over other salads, cooked chicken, or brown rice.
Toss it. Shake it. Dress it. Eat it. All in 5 minutes or less! What are some of your favorite salad combos to make with this recipe?
- 2-4 cups (about 2-4 large handfuls) mixed greens of your choice, (spinach, kale, green leaf, romaine, etc)
- 1/2 cup fruit of your choice, (apples, raspberries, pears, strawberries, peaches, etc)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds of your choice, (walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds, pecans, etc)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar of your choice, (red wine, apple cider, balsamic, etc)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toss mixed greens, fruit, and nuts or seeds in a salad bowl.
- In a small container or mason jar, combine olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, and salt and shake until combined.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and enjoy!